Understand Your Loss




.    .

Understand Your Loss

Motor Vehicle Accidents

Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents are daily occurrences. They can be caused by everything from excessive speed, failure of drivers to follow traffic rules, improper turns, distractions such as cell phone use and text messaging to the possible influence of alcohol or drugs.

If you or a member of your family is injured in a motor vehicle accident resulting from the negligence of another, Mark Farbman, P.A. personal injury lawyer can help you.  Mark Farbman and his personal injury staff will work hard to get compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, physical impairment, pain and suffering.

Car Accidents

Mark Farbman, P.A. personal injury law firm handles injury claims for people hurt in car accidents. We always advise our clients never to sign anything before talking with an experienced personal injury lawyer like Mark Farbman. He will act for you rather than for an adjuster who is hired by the insurance company and whose job it is to limit your compensation. Like other motor vehicle accidents, car wrecks can produce serious or even catastrophic injuries such as head and traumatic brain injuries (TBI), back and neck injuries, broken bones, paralysis, organ damage, and amputation.

Injured persons can be legally entitled to compensation for injury-related expenses such as medical bills, lost income, the cost of rehabilitation, permanent injuries, physical pain and emotional suffering. For over 25 years, Mark Farbman personal injury lawyer has been successful in obtaining full and fair compensation for people just like you for their physical injuries, as well as for their past, present and future economic losses.

Motorcycle Accidents

Unfortunately, drivers do not respect the vulnerability of motorcyclists, nor do they understand the difference in braking distances and handling between a motorcycle and a car. As a result, motorcyclists can find themselves injured in an accident that was the result of the negligence or carelessness of drivers of cars and trucks. Drivers of cars and trucks often fail to see motorcycles. And, it has been said, many car or truck drivers, eyewitnesses to a crash, and investigating law enforcement officers can exhibit prejudice or bias against motorcycle riders who are involved in crashes. You need Mark Farbman, P.A. personal injury law firm on your side to fight for your rights, to thoroughly investigate the crash, interview witnesses and talk to police officers to develop a true account of the motorcycle accident…and help you get just compensation for your medical care and other expenses.

Truck Accidents

Mark Farbman, P.A. personal law firm represent people injured in truck accidents. Often these cases involve not just the truck driver but the trucking company. In cases like this, you need the help of a lawyer on your side to represent you for the truck crash. When you are hurt by semi-trailers, dump trucks, pickup trucks, delivery vans, flatbed trucks, and other types of commercial vehicles, we’ll help you pursue just compensation.

Accidents involving commercial vehicles often cause very serious injuries which may result in a variety of disputes and issues with liability insurers, health insurers and health care providers. Truck accident injury cases are often more complex than car crash cases as the industry is heavily regulated. They often require thorough investigation and aggressive representation against both the driver of the truck and the trucking company.

Children injuries

Are you the parent, guardian or concerned family member of a child who has been injured in a car accident, school bus accident, pedestrian accident, bicycle accident or truck accident, crash or collision in North Carolina? If so, there are several things you will want and need to know in order to help that injured child and protect his or her legal rights. If a driver of a car, bus or truck was at fault, was negligent and injured a child, or caused his or her death, in an accident, crash or collision you should act immediately and hire an experienced attorney who you can trust to represent the injured child and protect his or her rights.

The contents of the article are provided for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended for legal advice.

Cranial / Facial

These are injuries to the skull, head, and face regions. Injuries to these regions can result in Traumatic Brain Injuries (“TBI”), Head Concussions, Nose injury, Hearing Impairment or Loss, and Facial Plastic Surgery.


These are injuries to your back and spine, and can result in nerve damage, chronic pain, paralysis, paraplegia or quadriplegia.


These are injuries to your chest and lungs which can result in chronic pain, impaired breathing and loss of physical endurance and strength.


These are injuries to your muscles, sometimes referred to as soft tissue injuries. These can typically occur in your arms, legs, chest, back and neck. The most common musculature injury in motor vehicle accidents is “whiplash,” a severe injury to the superficial and deep groups of muscles in the neck.


Cervical acceleration/deceleration (CAD) trauma (commonly known as Whiplash) is most common in rear-end impact accident when the head snaps backward following the forward jolt of the initial impact. Although this type of injury does not usually result in significantly disability, it can result in chronic or recurring aches, pains or stiffness which will affect your long term quality of life.

Kaiotic (from Greek: burn)

Burn injuries are often very painful and are categorized by their severity. Injury to the top layer of skin (the epidermis) is called a superficial burn (formerly called a first degree burn). Injury to the second layer of skin (the dermis) is now called a partial thickness or dermal injury (formerly called a second degree burn). An injury that extends down to the third layer (the subcutaneous tissue, which includes fat) is called a full thickness injury (formerly called a third degree burn). Burns that damage muscles underneath the subcutaneous skin layer are described as full thickness burns with injury to the underlying muscle (sometimes formerly called fourth degree burns).


These are injuries to your bones and joints, usually involving severe breaks or dislocations.


These injuries are generally very traumatic and involve the total loss of all or part of a limb. Regardless of the injury that you have suffered, we can help you seek compensation to help you deal with both the immediate medical and financial consequences, as well as any long-term prognosis.

The insurance companies have attorneys working to protect their rights and financial interests. Who’s on your side? We bring our extensive knowledge negotiation and litigation skills to the fight for maximum compensation for serious personal injury victims.

We want you to be taken care of. In fact, our greatest satisfaction comes from helping you receive the compensation you need for your recovery.

The contents of the article are provided for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended for legal advice.

Every injury, whether physical, psychological or emotional, impacts your life and your lifestyle.

First, there is the disruption involved with the accident and the resulting medical treatment. Then there is the financial disruptions cause by the resulting medical bills and therapy expenses. Finally, there are the costs and disruptions as a result of an accident. These can range from needing a rental car to a need for adaptive equipment or services, such as a wheelchair, nursing care or other therapeutic services.

All of these changes can profoundly affect your ability to get on with your life. The compensation you receive should, as much as possible, assist you with the process. We understand what you are going through and we stand with you to get just compensation.

The contents of the article are provided for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended for legal advice.

After a serious personal injury, you might expect…

…the insurance company to be sympathetic, or at least to treat you fairly and deal with your claim in an honorable manner. But, can you really be sure about that?

That is why it is so important to consult a personal injury lawyer with extensive experience and in-depth understanding of the tactics the insurance companies use to determine the financial compensation they pay to accident victims who have suffered serious personal injury.

Generally speaking, injuries can be viewed in two classes which can help determine the level of compensation to which you may be entitled. These can be useful terms in discussing your legal action.

Disabling Injuries

These injuries usually involve the partial loss of physical or intellectual strength, but not a loss of functionality. These injuries may also be permanent. For example, you may suffer an injury to your legs but you can still walk, just not as well as you used to. Whether the disability is permanent may depend on your ability to get ongoing therapy. This can be costly.

Incapacitating Injuries

These injuries are much more serious and do involve a total loss of capacity or natural power. For instance, your leg injury results in your inability to walk unassisted.

Of course, regardless of the classification of injury, there are always medical bills and other related issues that disrupt your physical, emotional and financial well-being.

Especially Important in Workers’ Compensation Cases…

…is the concept of maximum medical improvement (MMI). MMI is the point at which any further medical care you receive will not lead to further improvement. In other words, the doctors have done all they can do to make you better. Unfortunately, this might also be the point at which workers’ compensation benefits start getting cut off. Who makes this decision? Typically, this decision is made by the “treating doctor” approved by your employer’s insurance provider. Are they really representing your needs?

Often, the doctor that you choose to evaluate your case will disagree with the “treating doctor”. What do you do then? This is where a personal injury lawyer like Mark Farbman can help you get and pay for the treatment you really need.

The contents of the article are provided for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended for legal advice.

Loss or damage to your property –

typically, a Car, SUV, or Pick Up Truck – can be every bit as stressful and disruptive as a personal injury. In the case of a car, there is usually the expense of the repairs or replacement. In addition, in our “auto-dependent” society, being without a car can have a profound impact on your ability to work and make a living, obtain medical care and treatment, as well as to support and sustain your family. All of these issues become important as you pursue your claim for compensation and get on with your life.

Of course, you could also experience other types of losses, such as damage to your personal property, lost wages, lost business, the loss of other income-earning opportunities, and so forth. So, instead of taking a hastily offered settlement from the insurance company, you should talk to a lawyer, such as Mark Farbman, to determine what compensation you may be rightly entitled to.

As we review your case, we will help you determine the true extent of your loss and develop a careful determination of appropriate compensation that you should seek.

The contents of the article are provided for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended for legal advice.

Lawyers divide the compensation in personal injury settlements into two categories: “general” and “special” damages.

Special damages…

…are generally those damages that are easy to quantify, such as loss of income or medical expenses.

General damages,

on the other hand, compensate for intangibles such as pain and suffering or mental anguish. In order to assess general damages properly, your lawyer can check the various precedents already set in similar cases.

Pain and suffering…

…is the legal term for the physical and emotional stress caused from an injury. 

Mental Anguish…

…is the mental suffering, such as fear, anxiety, depression, grief, etc. that you or your family may face during or as a result of the incident and its consequences. It may be possible to claim damages for mental anguish if it can be clearly and logically connected to the incident.

Your lawyer and your legal team can help you determine what, if any, special settlement may be involved with your case.

The contents of the article are provided for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended for legal advice.

Hit and Run Accident

“The driver hit me from behind and took off.” 
This is a story that is all too real for some of our clients. Maybe it has happened to you.

You are commuting to- or from work, or you are running errands on your to-do list. A driver hits you from behind. A second or two go by after the accident and thoughts flood into your head: What happened? Where am I? What is that feeling? You are hurt. You start to move body parts: arms, legs, your neck and head. You are injured. Your car is not moving. It is damaged.

Then reality sinks in. The driver that hit you took off. Left the scene of the accident, left your car, left you without calling for help. No apology. You are the victim of a hit and run accident.

Perhaps you are able to find your phone and call for help. But did you get the license plate of the hit and run driver’s car? Can you describe the hit and run driver or the make, model and color of the unknown car? You may need and ambulance and medical assistance.

When the medic and police arrive, you are alone to tell your story. You are asked if there are any witnesses to the accident. You ask yourself if you count as a witness. You wonder if you count as a person.

The hit and run driver has successfully escaped the accident scene. You wonder, where is the justice? You play by the rules and play fairly, but what now? Can you afford to repair your car? If your vehicle is totaled, you need a replacement as soon as possible.

As for your injuries, you seek care from a doctor. Perhaps you go immediately to the ER. Medical bills come quickly, and if you are lucky enough to have health insurance, you question if it will pay for your accident injury.

We are familiar with this scenario, and we know how to help. If this sounds like something that has happened to you, come in and talk.

The at-fault driver does not have auto insurance / Uninsured Motorist

All right, it happened to you. The moment you saw the other car coming you knew that you could not avoid the accident from happening. You tried to brace yourself, holding on to the steering wheel. You are involved in a car accident. Then the impact, it is a hard hit. This is the real thing. The sound of the other car is too near and not stopping. The sound of the other car hitting your car is loud and around you. It feels that the other car is moving your car in an unsafe direction. You try to gain control of your car, but things are falling apart. When will it stop? Finally, the car accident has occurred and pushed over you.

Your car is damaged, you know that. Your commute to or from work did not finish. Perhaps you are driving through your daily routine, busy schedule, or that to do list. No matter, all those things are unfairly on stand-by. Are you alright? Are you hurt? Slowly you check your body: the hands, wrists, arms, feet, legs, head, back and shoulders. You are injured. Not so lucky. Your body feels different. You gather yourself together, and you call for help. You call for medic and police.

Could the other driver have avoided the accident? Did the at-fault driver see you and try to avoid the accident? What was the at-fault driver doing? Was the at-fault driver carelessly texting on the phone? Not looking at the road? You saw it coming. What do you do now while waiting for the medics and the police to find you?

In this accident the at-fault driver sticks around. The medics do come to start treatment and then the police officer or the highway patrol officer starts the accident investigation. Perhaps you need some legal advice right now. Should you move your car, if you can? What should you say? Will the other driver admit that he was at fault? You give your driver’s license to the officer and maybe you answer some questions. The officer then talks and listens to the at-fault driver. What are they saying to each other? The officer gives some information about the at-fault driver and tells you that the accident report will be available later, perhaps days from today.

It seems that things went OK. You are getting medical treatment and you are waiting for the at-fault driver insurance company to call you. You convince yourself that things are going to start to get better and move in the right direction. But you find out that the at-fault vehicle did not have auto insurance at the time of the accident. Sometimes, the at-fault vehicle has car insurance, but the insurance company will not pay for your property claim and property damage because the driver did not have permission to drive the car from the owner. You might ask yourself then, if you are being treated fairly. You know that the law requires vehicles and drivers to have auto insurance. You have car insurance. You play by the rules and you except others to be responsible. How does the law protect you?

Who is going to pay for car repairs or replace your vehicle? You need a rental car to get medical treatment. You have lost wages and you need to get back to work. To whom do you send the medical bills for your treatment? You have some savings, but this is not in your budget. Will the costs of your car insurance go up even though the accident was not my fault? You might have health insurance, but is it fair for your health insurance to pay when someone else is at fault for injuries? Is there a limit of money you can get from the car insurance company?

The contents of the article are provided for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended for legal advice.


* Required Field

Contact Us